JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Knowlege Vs Imagination

analogue

Personally i think that imagination is more important than knowlege. Now don't get me wrong we all need knowlege but having knowlege only takes yous so far. There is no limit to an imagination

and i think that's one of the main problems in School's today is that they don't let kids use to much of their imagination. Their just forced to sit down shut up and memorize stuff

What are you views on this?

My school does focus on stuff like that too. And much art too.

I had that kinda stuff in my School aswell. Unfortunatly though the problem for me was that during art class you had to draw whatever the teacher told you to draw which i thought kinda sucked cause art is all about imagination and creativity but when you have someone telling you to draw what they want you to draw all the time the imagination and creativity get's taken away.

Did your School give you more freedom during art class?

Edited by analogue

i depends really, if your going to become an actor, artist, musicion etc then imagination is far more important, but most jobs require knowledge more. My school focused on drama, sports and music a lot, but thats bcoz we were all stupid and couldnt do maths lol.

Saying that, i believe playing an instrument makes u use a seperate part of your brain. It sounds crazy, but when i play my guitar i have to read music, control my right and left hand at the same time and its hard and i also hadnt played it for about 2 years, i picked it up again and my fingers naturally played the song, i didnt really have a lot of control where they were going. Now i sound mad but you'd have to do it to understand it lol.

Yeah really imagination carries me far in writing songs, a lot of times i write from personal experience but really i let my mind wonder, that's a passion of mine, it gets my mind away from all the drama of life, god willing i'm gonna have a career as an mc or a songwriter but really when it comes to other careers like julie said it seems like they require more knowledge, i'm pretty smart though too, i had a B+ grade point average graduating high school in 2003 and in 2005 i graduated an online college majoring in C++ computer programming with a B average but with the way the economy is right now where i live there's no opening for me, i ain't sweating it though 'cause the knowledge is there for me, i've been putting more time into my passion of music lately, i really feel that's what i'm meant to do at this point, when i was in the hospital feelin' sick i ran into somebody i knew from school who remembered me rapping in the hallway and he asked me if i still rapped and i told him yeah and i freestyled a couple lines for him and he smiled, it calmed me down too, that made me happy too music is something that makes people happy and i feel that i do it well, i believe it's a message that god told me that day, now that i'm back to full strength i've been talkin' around to see if i could perform at any spots around my way

Wow! Interesting topic. I believe both knowledge and imagination are pretty much equally important. Knowlege is strenght and certainty. I think it's very important 2 school yourself on anything that comes your way. It's the best way 2 take care of yourself, your family, and your friends. It's much easier 2 adapt 2 the crazy things life can throw at u when u are educated. Knowledge brodens your boundries (or lack of them in life). I met this girl a few months ago and she has lived a sheltered life which makes it hard 2 her 2 adapt 2 the outside world sometimes. She also has a very low education due 2 some of the surprises that were thrown at her when she was younger. There's some very basic things that she can't do that will hurt her in the work force and so on.

Imagination is just as important. As long as u are smart enough 2 know the difference. Having a strong imagination will keep u from living a cookie cutter, stagnet life. Imagination breeds creativity, which breeds an "edge" 2 a person's whole being...giving them an advantage who focuses just on facts.

That's how i look at it anyway.

i depends really, if your going to become an actor, artist, musicion etc then imagination is far more important, but most jobs require knowledge more. My school focused on drama, sports and music a lot, but thats bcoz we were all stupid and couldnt do maths lol.

Saying that, i believe playing an instrument makes u use a seperate part of your brain. It sounds crazy, but when i play my guitar i have to read music, control my right and left hand at the same time and its hard and i also hadnt played it for about 2 years, i picked it up again and my fingers naturally played the song, i didnt really have a lot of control where they were going. Now i sound mad but you'd have to do it to understand it lol.

I know exactly what you mean, lol.

But I do believe that imagination is a lot more important than knowledge. Because 100 years ago humans "imagined" flying and the Wright brothers made that into a reality.

EDIT: Also, one of my favorite songs is called "Imagine"... and that song is very true and profound.

Edited by sonic1988

It works hand in hand. Imagination makes anything possible. Knowlege is more likely 2 make it happen. U can't do much with one unless u got the other.

When I read this topic,... this is the exact same thing that came to my mind AJ. Knowledge and imagination really works hand in hand.

Its like... Knowledge and imagination BOTH can be used together as a 'vehicle' that takes a person on this incredible journey to a place they envision being, and success they may dream of. When its dealing with passions in your heart, ...something that you LOVE (ie: muzik production, or music engineering as I love, etc) Particular 'levels' of knowledge gives us solid foundation and places us in an attractive position when dealing with competition, or someone who don't have the same level of 'knowledge' as you do. ... this is earned, as a result of effort and energy put forth.... whereas imagination allows you to better DEFINE your creativity along the way, and even expand (your knowledge) to even step into a better position as you see your dreams manifesting into reality. whoooo hoooo!!!. LOL

on a serious note tho... There's really no wrong or right answer, but Ideally, as a creative person, it takes knowledge, imagination AND 'actions' to make it all happeN!... imagination nor knowledge aint NOTHIN without makin it do what it do... :thumbsup:

~ 3cookies

Edited by 3cookies