JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Tupac the best?

analogue

Now i'm a huge fan of Tupac. I love his music and i got nothing but respect for the guy but when people run around yelling ''Tupac is the best rapper ever'' do they really think that or are they just jumping on the ''Tupac is the greatest rapper'' band waggon? If Tupac wasn't killed and was still alive today would people rate him really high as a rapper (i'm sure they would but would they rate him as highly as they do now?)? If LL Cool J was shot years ago would people be calling him the best rapper ever?

Let me start off 1st by saying that i'm a big 2Pac fan. I'm a bigger fan of Digital Underground, but had been following 2Pac as a solo artist since 1991. As a multi-faced emcee, there's definitly certain songs and albums i perfer over other songs and albums, but i would consider him one of the greatest. He had some of the deepest thoughts ever put on wax. He could throw a feel-good party record 2gether just like that. He waz very educated and could stun any listener with a political record. And he's personal drive made him one of the hardest working people in Hip-Hop. He also mastered the thugged out style that so many uneducated band-wagon fans remember him 4 doing.

Ever since 2Pac passed away, the bandwagon fanbase has been an embarassing thing. I don't have a problem with someone who didn't discover his music til later, but the reality is that many people didn't know anything about him and didn't follow him til he waz murdered. They claim 2 be his biggest fans but only bother 2 educate themselves with a knowledge of him that truely amounts 2 nothing.

So my answer is YES that he is one of Hip-Hop's greats and YES that thousands of people are bandwagon fans who aren't genuine fans, educated fans, or even honest fans. They are probably also the same people who think that Loyal To The Game and Pac's Life are actually good albums and close 2 something he would have put out.

2Pac is probably the most misunderstood emcee of all time.

i'm partial b/c one of the first things i saw of Tupac was him (in a video i think?) mocking Biggie about takin his girl..

put a sour taste in my mouth..altho i have listened to much of his stuff and acknowledge his greatness...it's one of those things that stick in the back of your mind..

U can't blame an artist 4 u tuning in2 his career 7 years late tho.' Besides, no mature 2Pac fans things his Deathrow stint contains his most lyrical stuff. Infact, that Deathrow stint contains most of his worst lyrics.

U can't blame an artist 4 u tuning in2 his career 7 years late tho.' Besides, no mature 2Pac fans things his Deathrow stint contains his most lyrical stuff. Infact, that Deathrow stint contains most of his worst lyrics.

true, that's why i said "I'm partial"

so i really can't comment on it....as I mentioned.... :smartass:

Me against the world is his best album in my book. some of his best tracks are on that record- dear mama thats a legendary song in hi ho that is always reffered to. lord knows is on of my favorite tracks as well as if i die 2nite..i think most people are familiar with all eyez on me and his songs caliornia love and ambitionaz az a ridah. they should buy me agaiunst the world

Tupac isn't the greatest rapper ever...He is one of the importants rappers of the new school era...you have to respect him to bring political/conscious hip hop back into the mainstream, but he also helped gangsta rap a lot which i think wasn't a good move. Also he started beef with a lot of rappers...a LL vs. Tupac battle would have been very interesting!

Tupac had complexity, soul, humor, energy and visible education. But you know I love some of Tupac's stuff and I merely tolerate/dislike some of his others...This is because his lyrical content was inconsistent and he often came off as hypocritical, But Fresh From Sophia is right, it dosen't matter if he's the greatest, just enjoy his music...

It depends on taste, if you like hearing a rapper say the truth 100% through his carrer, then 2pac is the greatest, because every word that came out of his mouth wasn't fake, it was true because either he had gone through it, or he saw it and picked it up, Me Against The World is one of my fav. 2pac albums also, But recenetly All Eyes On Me and Until the end Of Time we're closley followed, So I will say he is one of the greatest, because it all depends on your taste of music.

Me Against The World is easily his best album. I think most real fans like that album the best as well. Commerical fans probably lean towards All Eyez On Me, which has flawless production. But when it comes 2 lyrics and subject matter....the Deathrow influence weakened that aspect of the album. Anyone who thinks any of the albums released after 1997 are amoungst his best are crazy. I find it hard 2 call them albums...especially the more recent ones. The lyrics are fine...but as an album, they are just tracks put 2gether (sometimes from the same era...sometimes not). And the production gets worse with every release.

yup he's one of the best. and i started following after his death when everyone jumped on the bandwagon, but thats only because i was too young to listen to his stuff when he was alive. i think pretty much all of his work is dope. as far as rapping goes i think his emotion, sound, and message was what made him a great rapper. but as far as being the best, what made him the best to me was his message. it wasnt necessarily his ill rhymes or beats, it was the overall message. keep ya head up - no one else could ever say that and have it mean what it meant when 2pac said it. so i think he's one of the greatest, but not necesarilly for his raw rhyming/wordplay, altho i thought his rhymes were pretty damn good too.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that 2Pac's "All Eyez On Me" is the best double album released in Hip-Hop. Bone's, Wu-Tang's, Krazie Bone's, and B.I.G.'s double albums simply can't touch it cuz they had one weakness or another...such as none of the songs being tied 2gether with some kinda vibe or concept that makes a true album, filler trax, etc. All Eyez On Me is definitely the only true double album that truely is a complete album...at least when it comes 2 all of the double albums i've bought or heard.