JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Tell me what you know.

Silver Tiger

Hey, I'm thinking of adding some CD's to my collection. I'm stepping up on my music and I want to be surrounded by quality rap for a while.

What I want from you is reccomendations of great hip hop CD's.

By my definition of "Great" this means:
*No Parental Advisory (I don't need all this cussing if I'm not going to cuss in my music)
*Great lyrics (Think: Anything by Kel Spencer, heck, tell me how to get more music by him, think: raw hip hop)
*Flow
*Think: This is my money you're spending, please don't hurt my wallet for a Ja Rule Jr.

Thanks for anyone's help.

God Blessa! Edited by djsilvertiger

Guest Prince
[quote=djsilvertiger,Aug 13 2004, 12:44 AM]*Think: This is my money you're spending, please don't hurt my wallet for a Ja Rule Jr.[/quote]
I think spending other peoples money has long been a favourite past-time for many...

I would love to help, but alas my mind has drawn a blank... My advice would be is to get names from people here, then go and read reviews online... Just to be sure... (I think people like AJ and Tim would be good ones to ask, since their hip-hop minds are pretty unclouded haha).

• Members
You should buy [i]Postmen[/i]'s [i]Revival[/i] album (alltough its hiphop mixed a bit whit reagea I dont know if you like that.) but your prolly not gonna be albe to get the album :P
I love it and I Sugest you all to atleast try to find some songs from that album on Kazaa or such. (BEcouse I think they are only big in Holland and Belgium and a bit in France.)

I highly suggest [i][b]SKEE LO[/b][/i]. He's a 20-something emcee from the west coast. He's got that laidback, straight Hip-Hop west coast Hip-Hop vibe. He is highly active in his community and a very positive guy all around. He's got comical lyrics, serious lyrics, and an over all feel-good vibe. He never cusses in his music and all of his production is great and never less than meeting the standard of good music.

"I Wish" - 1995. This album waz huge and nominated for 2 Grammys. SINGLES: I Wish, Top of The Strairs, Superman, and Holdin' On (Import).

"I Cant' Stop" - 2000/2001. This album came out after years of struggling with finding a label. Nobody really knows about this album or has it. It's not as good as his 1st...but that dosen't make it bad at all. It's one of my favorite albums since the 2000's. Make sure u get the 2001 version tho' (with 2 extra trax). One of the trax is a remix of "At The Mall"...the best song on the album which isn't as good as the original....but why not get more bang 4 your buck. Also, it has the song "Just Like That" which wazn't on the 2000 version which is the 2nd best track recorded 4 the album. SINGLES: At The Mall, Bounce Back.

Both of these albums are kinda hard 2 find. Since I Wish came out in 1995, it's kinda hard 2 find in stores but some still carry it. I Can't Stop wazn't printed in huge numbers so the internet is your best bet. It took me about a year 2 find the 2001 version (i had the 2000 version already).

Another emcee u might wanna consider is [i][b]YOUNG MC[/b][/i]. Of coure everybody knows about the classic from 1989 "Bust A Move" but not many people know (or care) about his later work. 1997's "Return of The 1 Hit Wonder" is a good solid album. He's released 2 or 3 albums since then. I own Engage The Enzyme from 2002 which is good, but there are parts of the album where the production is lacking. But real Hip-Hop fans don't rely stictly on production. Lyrics and talent are much more important. I didn't get his other current album only cuz it's hard 2 find but i'll get it sometime soon. I would suggest getting "Return of The 1 Hit Wonder" and if u like it...get his other stuff. U can usually find that album MAD cheap cuz it waz his last album 2 be printed in big numbers.

I can suggest more if u don't mind if the emcees cuss a lil' bit or if their talent and lyrics out-weigh their cussing.

Anything from Eric B.and Rakim, Run-Dmc, Slick Rick, Public Enemy, and KRS-ONE would be albums that u would consider great albums! :dj: