JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

THE DIRTY SOUTH INVASION MUST END!

JumpinJack AJ

Over the years, Hip-Hop music and commerical rap have introduced it's long time fans 2 new and depressing lows. As a longtime Hip-Hop head, i give everything and everybody and honest listen. I respect that everyone in this world is different and has different talent and skillz. Everyone has different tastes. While one artists speaks 2 me, they may not be respected by other people. And while i think one rapper is wack, someone else is feeling them. Under all of that, there is a bottom line of something just being bad.

Over the past few years, that dirty south style of rap has blown up 2 unbelieveable levels. Overall, the commercial Dirty South genre is straight trash. Now when i say that, i'm not saying that just becuz an artist comes from the south or is part of that genre, they can't be talented...but i am saying that overall, it's just embarassingly bad. When i think of southern emcees/groups, i think of Arrested Development. I think of OutKast. I am proud of what they are doing for Hip-Hop. They got lyrics, they got talent, they got flow, they put on a good show. Of course not everyone is gonna love them, but they easily have what it takes 2 represent Hip-Hop.

But that crap that is getting on the radio is just unexcusable. Young Joc, J-Kwon, Lil' Wayne, D4L, Lil' Jon + The Eastside Boyz, Young Dro, T.I., Lil' Scrappy, Trillville, etc. These suckers SUCK!! Most of their beats are so cheaply produced, they sound like 2-bit video game soundtracks. They typically have clinky bells and whistles percussion sound with a 4 of 5 not melody that any 3 year old could bang out on electornic toy keyboard. The choruses are typically the same line chanted over and over again...example "make your shoulder lean, shoulder lean, shoulder lean"...or the obnoxious "now walk it out, now walk it out, now walk it out, now walk it out, now walk it out, now walk it out"...or "I know u see it, i know u see it, i know u see it." Young Joc steps it up by changing one word in it "Meet me in the trill, it's going down, meet me at the mall, it's going down, meet me in the club, it's going down, anywhere we meet, it's guarenteed to go down." Are u freakin' kiddin' me? Whe thinks these can be called lyrics. Then, their crappy lyrics are delievered in the most uneducated voices i've ever heard. It's beyond dialect, it's beyond and accent. These fools sound like they dropped outta 1st grade...for real. As if their voices weren't annoying enough, they can't even talk like members of society.

Is anyone else on the same page as me. It should be illegal 2 give idiots like them record deals. I'm not hatin' on the south, but those who are given them the fame 2 represent the south are just as stupid. 2 not require talent and support stuff like that doesn't say much for the listeners intellegence.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know AJ. I understand you entirely. I would sound off, but I've done it enough. I know where I stand, and a change is gonna come. I am beyond guessing what record companies are thinking. I mean, they even make Diddy's rhymes look good don't they? (even the ones he wrote himself) There are literally 1,000s and 1,000s of hip hop artists out there. There's gotta be a lil something for everybody. Watch them in your local area, look at the internet, maybe they're a bright spot in the mainstream you didn't see before, maybe you overhear a song. AJ, Kel is goin' back to Maryland. I know you're hype about that. If it wasn't for Dave Chappelle, I wouldn't have been exposed to the Hip Hop I have been (not that was listening to anything "bad" before), or opened up to it so fast. His Block Party was unbelieveable. Where are those at anymore? If it wasn't for reading Michael Eric Dyson's "Holler If Ya Hear Me: Searching for Tupac Shakur", I wouldn't have been exposed to new references or hip hop's connect game. If it wasn't for coming across this board, seeing new talents and musical tastes of people being expressed, I probably wouldn't have been inspired the same. If I didn't see Kweli live, I wouldn't have truly felt the effects Hip Hop can have, moreso than I already did. If it wasn't for the in short or exclusive feedback I'd been given on my music, I wouldn't have easily known what effects I could be making. There's a whole lot more to this whole Hip Hop thing.

All this "bad" hip hop, 'that shouldn't be classified as hip hop', just simply stay away from it. Maybe you're just sick of everywhere you go, someone has to actually believe that it's good music, simply because they can move to it. I really don't know what to think when Nas (who has been one of my favorite artists) says "Hip Hop Is Dead"; regardless of what context he puts it in. Now if he's saying it because it seems as if the main four elements is gone, ok, I understand. America is dead? How can that be? You criticized the same country time and time again some time back, and back again. There is no one way to say what America stands for, so how can it be dead? (again, I'm just saying, regardless of context) Well, at least we have something to talk about and keep us busy on this earth. Let the argument, agreements, thought-provoking conversations begin!

I'm sick of it too. Whenever I'd see a low point in Hip Hop it used to be because of the lyrical content. These southern rappers have taken it to a new low. I don't think that just because you're from the south you've got a free pass to be a terrible rapper. That broken, elementary school flow is not a style- it's a lack of talent.

It hurts worse when I see people singing along to these 4-word bars like they mean something. I think the reason it's gotten so big is that any idiot can sing along to this crap- at least the hooks, try looking up the lyrics to these songs- you WILL think "This... this is stupid." Hip Hop has never been known for its grammatical correctness, but at least things used to make sense. These songs are just a collection of half-thoughts thrown over a club beat. They'll even admit that it's about getting stupid. They don't wanna think about anything. I don't think every song needs to be some deep experience but at least put some effort into it!

God Blessa!

Edited by Silver Tiger

While I agree a lot with AJ's assessment, the crappy music is not just in the South. A whole lot of rappers in MYC need to disappear as well. I know life would be much better if I didn't have to hear Jim Jones, 50, G-Unit., etc. anymore. The whole industry from coast to coast is a complete mess.

I also gotta agree with mfuqua. There is a lot of good rap music out there. You just got to search a lot harder for it.

I think things will worse before they ultimately get better.

one word: money

and thats not what hip hops about

money is the root to evil... lets take a look at this

The Label

Multi-million dollar labels have employed many business and marketing graduates who lack a true knowledge of hiphop. They know how to promote, market and sell whatever the fans are buying into, to make the label more money.

The Fans

The fans have dictated every musical trend today... if they dont like it, its not going to get played, bottom line. Now rap music has evolved horribly within the past few years but we cant blame the artists... theres always been bad artist, its the fans who are keeping the south alive.

The Fusion Of The Two

The labels notice whats hot(the south), the employees get on their hustle and use strategies to develop marketing schemes to feed off this trend as much as possible, and by doing this southern artist are signed, promoted and sold in everystore near you.

Ignorance is addictive to these fans nowadays... how they bought into it, i dont know and I personally dont like a large % of southern rappers but to blame them for what theyve always done isnt right to me. We must blame those who are promoting, marketing, selling and buying into this garbage. The south has been spittin this same nonsense years before it went huge... so no matter what, theyre going to keep doing it. All in all, i agree that the south is horrible but we cant blame people for doing what theyve always been doing and letting the people who are promoting, marketing and selling it get away clean.

Right Ash Trey. But that's just part of it. Not all of us who are tired of this hip hop purposely go listening to it. Think about it, you're hanging out with your friends or family or whatever and these songs come on the radio, tv, however they come about, and you don't wanna discontinue being connected with these people around simply because of strong distaste in this music. But that's just it. It's that strong to make you feel that way. One of the quickest generalizations everybody wants to make is that "rap music is nothing but cussing". (and I think they say rap, instead of hip hop because it's one word) The industry for the music will plummet and the artist themselves will make what money they can honestly make based on their own work ethic and those that share with their vision somehow.

People don't like to be called stupid for what they listen to. One friend I was around was really like Mike Jones. And I asked simply "Why?". There wasn't much of answer. And I remember at the 2005 BET Awards after show, Mike Jones or some southern rapper, got asked about Will Smith, and he didn't answer the question, just simply BS'd it.

Nobody in this thread thusfar has said anything out of context to be wrong. We all know what we're witnessing. And I almost don't want to say it, but I believe TopDawg is right when he says "it's gonna get worse before things get better." At least it can't go too much further.

I see what your saying there FuQ....This reminds me of when my friend asked me if I still like "cheap rap". I was offended and couldn't really mention any intelligent artists that that a rock fan like him would have heard about...so I pulled an AJ on him and started explaining to him the difference between rap and Hip-Hop...:lolsign: but on the real the majority of the rap that they show on MTV etc. is just as he said... "cheap".Now that is what needs to change!

Edited by ash trey

Yeah there's a lot of crap out there from all areas but there's a lot of good stuff out there too, if you're a fan of true hip-hop you gotta ignore that weak stuff and focus to all the great stuff out there, working up and complaining about what's wrong instead of sheading light on what's right is what's keepin' the true artists from shining and the wack artists on top, fans need to get it together for real, if they appreciate quality music they need to support, sitting around praying for the radio to play something great is not gonna work, fans need to take action, don't like the radio, don't listen, buy albums and play them instead, I think record sales been in a slump 'cause people want to see better artists out there, a lot of that crap you're complaining about don't even go gold if you check the charts recently where garbage used to sell 5 million, people are responding, progress is slowly being made, the music industry is crumbling, these fool A&R's are paying for what they've been doing, it's time for them to give the people want they want, real artists, if they want to keep their jobs, many execs from Sony are jobless this holiday now, things are looking up, I'm optimistic,

sooner or laterreal artists like me, Brakes, Fuq, and Acecould get in the game and sell millions and be the ones to turn it around very soon,btw there's nothing wrong with a fun dance record like "Walk It Out", you don't ever go to the club AJ, it ain't like "Switch" is lyrical genious right? Not everything has to be serious, there should be a fun element to hip-hop but there needs to be balance...

I'm sorry, actually I'm not, haha but "Switch" is lyrically genious. You don't always have to use large words for a song to be genius. It's just the how the words are put together and said. It's a lot like love songs you hear. Maybe you hear a lot of the same words but it's how it's put together and said. We heard it time and time again about what's wrong with Hip hop, record executives, wack emcees, etc. Kenn Starr has said it different, Hieroglyphics have said it different. Jean Grae, Talib Kweli, Kel Spencer, even someone on your block just writing. One day, "Walk It Out" came on the radio, and my dad foolishly got into it just to poke fun at me. I was like, I don't like this kind of rap. And I turned the station quick. The "Walk It Out" beat alone is better than the song as a whole. They could just say "Walk It Out" once in the chorus, and the song would be a hint better.

Seriously, listen to "Switch" again if you haven't in a while. That is a genius "club/pop record". You can dance and listen at the same time; it ain't like drinking and driving.

I dont really see the big problem. I dont see why you hate on those artists. You cant blame them for making records allot of people like. Artists that are "good" dont complayn about that ether, caus they got theyr own fan base. In reality you'll see that guys like Young Dro & Lloyd Bank's dont sell more record's than Lupe Fiasco or Method Man. They just might have some bigger singles. And I dont even care about that, caus to me it's something diffrent. Dancing at a party with one of my girls I enjoy listening to track's like "Shoulder Lean", even tho I doubt I'd listen to that at home, caus at home I'd much rather listen to "kick Push". Just let all those artist's be, and dont hate. If you dont like it, dont support it, and just support what you like, caus nobody of us is the one to judge what's wrong or right.

@ Fuq: You'r way overreacting about Switch. If you wanna hear a Track that rock's party's, with tight lyrics, than check out" D.O.E. Feat. Timbaland & Lil Jon-Rollin'".

Edited by Turntable

I'm not overracting. I can be just as calm listening to "Switch" as I am to "Kick, Push". And my point was calm. I was not screamin' that stuff out. Just philosphically stating it. I'm saying for what "Switch" was itself. It's not like I was comparing it to Rakim rockin' a party, or even Lil Jon. Of course there are other "club records" that put "Switch" outta place. I'm not gonna deny somethng like that. And of course it's opinion.

--

OK, I just listened to "Switch" again. It's just lyrical nice and decent. But it's still a cool record, as far as the club scene goes. I mean, look at what the song got Will. Anyway, I hadn't played it so long. Point to Turntable. It's not lyrically genius, but it's cool.

Edited by mfuqua23

Kick, Push is a top 5 song at summers 5 AM. Im serious.

I took a walk last summer, it wasnt one guy out, just me. I bought a hot dog and walked home again. I stopped outside of my neighbourhood though, because I saw that the field just outside was more beautiful than ever. I think Kick Push helped me like that field. I love that field now, but they are going to build some kind of skyscraper on it. Thanks to Kick, Push I am going to defend the field with everything I got.