JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Where are Eminem and Ludacris in your list of greats?

Bob

So you'd rather see Will not do anymore albums and just do movies if he don't write all his rhymes?

No. I'd rather Will write ALL of his rhymes ALL of the time. He's proved he can do it throughout his JJFP era so why stop now? :shrug:

Well you want him to do movies still right man? He ain't Superman, either he becomes a full time mc and gives up acting, or he does albums every 3 years in between with some help from others, what do you want?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a poor excuse! Because he does movies he doesn't have to write all of his rhymes?! He's an emcee through and through. Its what he started out as , its what he is! LL has managed to write his rhymes and do movies. So does Mos Def and Cube! You don't have to be superman to act and write your own raps!

LL, Mos Def, and all them ain't on Will's status of acting though, they don't major roles all the time, they do a lot of smaller roles, memorizing a million lines from a script and then writing a whole album in 3 years might be harder right? Is Mr. 30 million dollar film man gonna do a small role in a film to have more time to write lyrics? It might take a few more years to wait for albums if he did all the lyrics himself, now Ice Cube dropped his first album in 6 years this time around, it might be like that for Will, I'd rather have another album in 2008 than 2011, who cares about ghostwriters as long as the music's good, come on now, my favorite Boyz II Men songs were written by Babyface, do I really give a damn?

Edited by bigted

Singers and rappers are diffferent! You can't compare that when talking about songwriting. All I'm saying is making alot of movies is no excuse for not writing all of your raps. Me personally would prefer Will to write ALL of his rhymes! You might be happy with it coming from Kel and Skillz but I'm not! :shakehead:

I sure ain't happy about it but if it's gonna keep Will rapping longer than why not is what I'm saying? Really what does he have to prove at this point? He made his mark in rap already, he's just doing songs for fun at this point but he don't have to, now rappers like Eminem and Luda still have a lot to prove, most of their songs are weak whether they wrote them or not, good music is good music, bad music is bad music, there really ain't much difference between rapping and singing, it's about performance really, you have to bring the lyrics written to life, not everyone could do that, they're recording artists, besides the majority of the rap game has ghostwriters anyway but you wouldn't know since a lot of rappers hide it 'cause they got real big egos, Will's a humble dude and don't really care...

Edited by bigted

I heard otherwise about Will's ego, from somebody that personally met him. I'll brush it off and maybe it was at a bad time or something, there are always unseen circumstances. Anyways, does anybody know who did the writing for Diddy's last album? I heard Pharoahe Monch, Kweli, and possibly Common and Nas had their hands in it (literally)!

True Hip-Hop is about the love, not the money. A true Hip-Hop MC who still loved his craft would wait every 5 or even 10 years to put out an album rather than have somebody write their lyrics, I don't care WHO we're talking about. It's like Michelangelo getting Da Vinci to do paintings for him because he's too busy doing the Sistine Chapel. If he did you know it's only about one thing... money!

Hell, I don't expect most of y'all to understand that. Obviously Will and Chuck don't, and I consider them true Hip-Hop, even though they weren't there at the start. As a matter of fact, the guy we made fun of in our records, Grand D, was a rapper (he doesn't deserve the MC mantle) in our crew in the '70s and he didn't do his own rhymes either, so even then there were some of us who didn't have that pure love. We clowned the hell out of him for it though.

I am glad as hell though that Brakes and Ace DO understand! It justifies what I have sensed in them from the beginning. Keep that understanding of TRUE Hip-Hop with you forever y'all, it will take care of you the same way you take care of it. I'm 47 and it's STILL taking care of me, and I ain't lettin' nobody write NONE of my sh!t! I don't care if my albums only go tin!

Guest Guest_bigted_*

But it ain't ghostwriting if you give credit is it? Ghostwriting is not giving credit, Will and Chuck D don't use ghostwriters 'cause they admit others wrote their stuff, LL said when he released his last album that he had help writing some songs, he wanted it to be more of a group effort, it's not a bad thing to write stuff with your friends, it makes it more fun, Will and Kel are tight, Chuck D has been tight with Paris for a long time as well, having ghostwriters is keeping it secret anyway....

Guest Guest_bigted_*

Will'd stopped rapping 15 years ago if he was only in it for the money, the acting's bringing in all the money, he loves getting on the stage and performing and inspiring people with his music, he still got a lot of love for the game, there are many 20 year olds coming in the rap game like Bow Wow that never wrote a lyric in their life and just put out heartless music but Will has wrote many, many, classic albums with substance, he don't have to write another lyric in his life if he don't want to, he's proven himself already, it's time for Kel and Skillz to put out classic albums and stop giving their lyrics away to others, I don't know if I'd ever write anything for anybody else, I express my feelings in songs, nobody elses.......

But it ain't ghostwriting if you give credit is it? Ghostwriting is not giving credit, Will and Chuck D don't use ghostwriters 'cause they admit others wrote their stuff, LL said when he released his last album that he had help writing some songs, he wanted it to be more of a group effort, it's not a bad thing to write stuff with your friends, it makes it more fun, Will and Kel are tight, Chuck D has been tight with Paris for a long time as well, having ghostwriters is keeping it secret anyway....

A real Hip-Hop MC who's true to their craft doesn't let somebody else write their rhymes. Period.

Will'd stopped rapping 15 years ago if he was only in it for the money, the acting's bringing in all the money, he loves getting on the stage and performing and inspiring people with his music, he still got a lot of love for the game, there are many 20 year olds coming in the rap game like Bow Wow that never wrote a lyric in their life and just put out heartless music but Will has wrote many, many, classic albums with substance, he don't have to write another lyric in his life if he don't want to, he's proven himself already, it's time for Kel and Skillz to put out classic albums and stop giving their lyrics away to others, I don't know if I'd ever write anything for anybody else, I express my feelings in songs, nobody elses.......

I have no problem writing for somebody else, just as I have no problem producing for somebody else. I do both for the money. I do ME for the LOVE, and ain't NOBODY EVER gonna do MY trax or MY lyrix! Before it gets to that point I'll hang 'em up.

Guest Guest_bigted_*

Well if I'm friends with somebody like Fuq for example, if he calls me up and asks me to help him out with his lyrics I'd help him 'cause I know him as a friend and would know how to put the lyrics to fit his personality, I think that's basically the way it has been with Will having other rappers write lyrics with him, basically he's friends with Kel, Skillz, Nas, and Common, they all basically said that they just helped him out with his lyrics but they didn't write the whole songs for him, Will has been involved writing every single song of his career

Well, I have no knowledge whatsoever of this outside of what you guys say, so I'm the last one to pass judgement. If somebody helps you out with your lyrics it depends on what kind of help. What a lot of us older rappers will do sometimes is check with younger rappers on our lyrical content, to make sure that we have the current slang and vernacular, and are properly conveying what we are trying to say. After all, you want to connect with the current young audience as well as your traditional base. There's nothing wrong with that and it's nowhere near the same as someone writing your lyrics for you. I can even see someone helping you out with hooks, or a line here or there. If that is what Will and Chuck did it's all good.