JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New Generation itching to get rid of the old?

Bob

First it was Lil' Wayne, who basically said that Jay-z has nothing on him, and later yesterday, elaborated to say he is better than everyone out there.

Then Jeezy sounded off on Nas, making it clear he didn't feel Nas had credibility.

Now Jay and Nas are no longer the young ones coming up. They are the part of a generation of hip-hop that is getting older.

My question is, with all this hate coming back to the two, for "coming back cause the game needs me" (Jay) or cause "hip hop is dead" (Nas):

Is it that Jay and Nas are just acknowledging that this genre of music is degraded and continuing to decrease in quality, or are they just "ol' folk" who don't wanna give it up that the new breed is here, and that's the direction it's going, with or without em?

Idk what I really feel. I feel alot of what Jeezy puts out, but I reallly love the stuff Jay and Nas keep coming out with. But aside from Papoose, who is out there that can commercially be as successful as Nas or Jay down the line while still holding on to "hip hop" as Nas and Jay subscribe to?

Well, Whatever side you are on, no one is really wrong. It's all how you look at it.

Jay Z said "The games been dropping", Wayne Says "Drop? We're right here still making music"..

Nas says "Hip Hop is dead", Jeezy says "Dead? That means my music is wack?"....

There is really no right or wrong answer. it just depends on who you are...

Edited by Vipa

Well, Whatever side you are on, no one is really wrong. It's all how you look at it.

Jay Z said "The games been dropping", Wayne Says "Drop? We're right here still making music"..

Nas says "Hip Hop is dead", Jeezy says "Dead? That means my music is wack?"....

There is really no right or wrong answer. it just depends on who you are...

:word:

the younger cats ae just taking offence by what is being said, not directly at them but in general. They have a right to fight back but should do it on record with proof that it isn't all wack stuff they are putting out.

It's funny that Lil' Wayne and Young Jeezy are acting so confident...cuz they are amoungst the worst. Hip-Hop and Rap may have alot of confidence...but when u are that lacking in talent, i don't understand how u can make statements like that. Most of these new guys are garbage...heck, at this point, most of the established people are garbage. Listen 2 commerical rap radio stations...the sounds from those stations are the flat line sound of quality music getting acknowledged commerically.

• Admin

"You dont know where you're going till you know where you've been"

The problem with the newer generation is they arent listining to public enemy, epmd, run dmc, marvin gaye, donald byrd, charles mingus

They are listening to nas/jay z/50 cent..maybe some 2pac and biggie.. Its a very narrow world..and they only listen to rap.. Thats why all this new stuff sounds the same..

Before hip hop artists used to listen to ALL KINDS of music.. there was huge diversity in successful rappers.. in 87 you had public enemy, whodini, nwa, epmd, ll cool j, jazzy jeff & fresh prince.. These artists were all successful but they were all very different!

Yeah, u can carbon copy something over and over again...and eventually, there's nothing left from the original...and the carbon copy is uninteresting and blank...that's what happened with mainstream Hip-Hop and commerical rap. It all started with talented artists who made good music. Over the years, there's is pretty much nothing less. Turn on the radio...there's nothing 2 the music and nothing 2 the "artist."

But it's hella funny. Man, Jay-Z is running around with his big mouth, only doing stupid ish lately. Lil Wayne obiviously doesnt give a damn about what comments ike this might do to his career.. He just felt like pissing Jigga of. Man, if I'd be a famous Rapper I'd say "Jay-Z aint got ish on me" right now too.

By the way.. Lil Wayne was right there in New Orleands, when ish went down last year.. While Jigga is touring around in Africa selling tickets for 800 bucks. Talk about keeping it real.

Edited by Turntable

Before hip hop artists used to listen to ALL KINDS of music.. there was huge diversity in successful rappers.. in 87 you had public enemy, whodini, nwa, epmd, ll cool j, jazzy jeff & fresh prince.. These artists were all successful but they were all very different!

That's EXACTLY how I feel! And it wasn't only that they listened to all kinds of music, but they were genuine in who they were and didn't follow any trends or copy anyone directly. Each took their influences and created their own sound. Now it's just bitin to make money. I think Weird Al's "White & Nerdy" is a better rap song than what most of these "hip hop artists" put out (notice I didn't use the word "rapper"). That song sure describes me well. :bandana:

• Admin

That's EXACTLY how I feel! And it wasn't only that they listened to all kinds of music, but they were genuine in who they were and didn't follow any trends or copy anyone directly. Each took their influences and created their own sound. Now it's just bitin to make money. I think Weird Al's "White & Nerdy" is a better rap song than what most of these "hip hop artists" put out (notice I didn't use the word "rapper"). That song sure describes me well. :bandana:

Atleast people like us are still around to keep hip hop alive..

Turntable//

Yeh.... Wayne's spending millions of dollars on hoes, jewelry and rims.

Jay's spending the money coming from the concerts and the money brought in by his tour to the U.N and water-program.

Talk about keeping it real.

• Admin

Turntable//

Yeh.... Wayne's spending millions of dollars on hoes, jewelry and rims.

Jay's spending the money coming from the concerts and the money brought in by his tour to the U.N and water-program.

Talk about keeping it real.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

"you can't live in that fancy car when you're advance is gone.."